Feb 09, 2018 02:23 AM
Author: Michael Gannon
Bookies missed these two at Doomben & Caulfield
Doomben 1 #2 Get on the Grange
Has found his best form and is well suited to this race with past success at the track and distance. He’s found one or two better so far this preparation, but after considering these key switches, a win looks well on the cards:
- drops 3kg with a class rise on paper. Looking closer however, the rise doesn't appear to be a significant leap considering the switch to less competitive company here in Brisbane;
- the track switch is significant with two wins from two starts at Doomben;
- senior jockey Damian Browne takes the ride from apprentice Blaike McDougall; and
- steps up from 1800m to 2200m where his record is 5:2-0-1
Get on the Grange is currently $3.40 fixed odds.
Caulfield Race 7 #9 Andaz
The Chris Waller trained gelding hasn’t found a set-up like this in any of his recent starts. A mixture of poor barriers and track bias have led to some forgivable runs, notably his disrupted 3.8L eighth in last Spring’s Group 1 Coolmore Stakes which is a strong form line. A win is right around the corner for him and with these significant switches in his favour, it could be this Saturday:
- drops 4kg in a return to his own age group;
- the move from Moonee Valley’s short 173m straight to the Caulfield 367m straight will allow him more time to wind up into his explosive finish; and
- gets the better draw from barrier two allowing jockey Michael Walker to hold a more prominent position, a significant advantage over the Caulfield 1400m early sectionals.
Andaz is currently $13 fixed odds.