Jan 04, 2018 07:44 AM
Author: Mike Steward
Sharpest punters & racing media experts revealed
With the 2017 punting year drawing to a close on Sunday we can now reveal the Aussie punters who earned the title as 'the Best in Australia' over the past 12 months.
In a year when the Australian racing media appeared to be more prominent in the monthly awards, only two big names appeared in the top 3 place getters for the two categories of punting excellence over the 12 month period.
A criteria is put in place to ensure that punters have earned the title of Punter of the Year - to qualify each punter must:
- place at least 80 bets/tips at theGreatTipOff.com during the calendar year.
- bet or tip in at least 5 months during the year
- achieve the highest profit as a percentage of turnover or absolute cash profit (calculated as a $100 win bet on each selection)
Here are the winners.
Punter of the Year - Profit On Turnover
Adelaide punter going by Winning4Place dismissed any ideas that his namesake required followers to make place bets on his selections in 2017. His 97 bets found 12 winners at average odds of $12.95. His win profit on turnover (POT) percentage was an outstanding 60.2%, much higher than his place POT of 17.3%. The South Australian punter finished 20 percentage points clear of his nearest rival.
Sky Racing and TAB racing commentator, Glenn Munsie, finished the year with 40.2% POT from his weekly best bets, the second highest profit made in 2017. The popular racing identity found no less than 40 winners from his 124 best bets during the 12 months period averaging a respectable $4.35 win price. Rumour has it, Munsie has already lined-up TAB management for a pay-rise on the back of his dazzling achievement.
Second runner-up was Sydney punter Shark42. His 34.2% POT came from 99 bets, finding 27 winners at average win odds of $4.92.
Other media punters who finished well in the black included:
- Mitch Cohen from SMH, 24.8% POT from 273 selections
- Terry Bailey, RSN race caller, 16.7% POT from 93
- John Barker, Best Bets analyst, 16.2% POT from 92
- Clint Payne, Racenet senior journalist, 9.6% POT from 260
Punter of the Year - Cash Profit
Taking absolute cash profit as the measure, two punters and a racing media expert floated to the top of the pile in 2017.
EvolutionRacing made $7,704 using $100 win bets from his betting activity in 2017, finishing ahead of any other punter or media expert.
Fairfax's rising star analyst Mitch Cohen produced the second highest cash profit, making his followers a cool $6,770 off his selections.
Dynamite23, came in close behind with $6,600 in cash profit from $100 bets.
Best Punters in December
We can also reveal the top three punters in each category in December.
- Formulator, $4,860 cash profit from 54 bets
- Gary Harley, Sky Racing analyst, $4,140 from 52
- MyDaySaturday, Brisbane punter, $4,030 from 78
Profit on Turnover
- Ian Humpries, form analyst with UBET, 155% POT from 22 selections
- Formulator, professional punter, 90% from 54
- DagPrez13, professional punter, 87% from 25
Despite missing out on a yearly award, 2016 Punter of the Year, Formulator, finished the year with the top award in both November and December.